Plastic pollution has always been on the hot list for many years. Non-biodegradable plastic has adversely affected the ecosystem. This problem now doesn’t remain unresolved as engineers have started working on using recycled plastic in construction.
Plastic is either burnt or buried in a landfill. This creates more atmospheric pollution. Today roads and highways are constructed with plastic. Asphalt concrete, a major component of roads, are replaced by plastics. So far, no road has been built entirely of plastic, but plastic composite roads are becoming very common.
🎯 Positive Aspects of Plastic Roads
- 1️⃣ The prefabricated hollow elements of these roads are very lightweight and transported easily. Heavy machinery and transportation facilities were required in the construction of conventional roads.
- 2️⃣ The hollow elements of these roads make it flood proof as drainage of water is better.
- 3️⃣ As they are light in weight, damage due to subsidence is decreased.
- 4️⃣ Maintenance cost is also meager as when a part is damaged, that element is replaced easily. This increases their durability and life expectancy up to 3 times more than that of conventional roads.
- 5️⃣ These roads provide better resistance to wear and tear.
- 6️⃣ Plastic roads are more efficient than conventional roads.
- 7️⃣ Employment for unskilled laborers is generated.
- 8️⃣ Using less asphalt saves on resources.
⚠ Negative Aspects of Plastic Roads
- 1️⃣ Toxins present in the plastic can start leaching.
- 2️⃣ Due to numerous types of plastic, premature failure can occur.
🧐 Over To You
Plastic roads have opened a new chapter in the field of engineering. The conventional methods and techniques once considered best are now being reformed.
I personally think that this is a major step towards the environment-friendly world. Due to rapid urbanization landscape, topography, ecosystem, etc. were severely affected, but now steps are being taken to ensure our and our planet’s safety.
P.S All the media content in my posts is either captured by my friends or me royalty-free stock, CC0/MIT or licensed as such that I have permission to use it here. Although, you can always get in touch with me if think it’s not.